With so much emphasis on being “special” in our culture,
I wish all people could choose to:
- accept themselves, no matter how different they are from others.
- accept others, no matter how different others are from them.
- concentrate on self improvement instead of criticizing or comparing themselves to others.
- love with their heads as well as with their hearts.
- focus on what unites us rather than what divides us.
- honor the natural right of every human to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.
- celebrate diversity instead of trying to stamp it out.
- stop recycling and reusing intolerance, and just throw it out for good.
- value justice and integrity more than wealth and power.
- seek to find common ground.
If all these wishes came true, people could focus less on how they are different and special, and more on how they are the same and common. Maybe, with this common approach we could finally unite, and live peaceably together. Now, that would be something “special”.
Every human is already one of a kind, “special”, by virtue of nature, and that’s a beautiful thing, but couldn’t we balance that by choosing to be “common” in ways that allow us to get along?